Changing the lives of survivors and volunteers worldwide
At EDV, we are committed to protecting your privacy. When you interact with us we sometimes receive personal information about you. This page tells you about how we collect, use and store your personal information.
Please read this policy carefully to understand how we collect, use and store your personal data.
What this policy takes into account
- the Data Protection Act 1998
- the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 as amended by The Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) (Amendment) Regulations 2011
- Directive 2009/136/EC of 25 November 2009 (“The European Union Cookie Directive”).
How we collect information about you
We may collect information about you whenever you interact with us. For example, when you register for our services, donate to us, ask about our activities, apply for a job or volunteering opportunity, or otherwise give us any other personal information.
We may also receive information about you from third parties – such as other donation sites - but only if you’ve given them permission to share your information.
What information we collect
When you interact with us, we may collect names, addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, bank account details for setting up a regular direct debit and, where appropriate, dates of birth and relevant medical information.
We may collect some, or all, of this information when you visit our website, depending on how you use it. We monitor how people use our website so we can improve it. However, you can use our website anonymously without giving us any information and we won’t know who you are.
If you visit our site anonymously, we may still record information about
- the areas of the website you visit
- the amount of time you spend on the site
- whether you are new to the site, or have visited it before
- how you came to our website – for example, through an email link or a search engine
How we use your information
We will use your information to:
- give you the products, information or services you have requested
- keep you in touch with our work by sending you updates, fundraising and marketing communications
- send you administration information about our charitable aims
- comply with financial regulations and the law.
You can opt out of receiving communications from EDV by clicking “unsubscribe” in a received message or emailing Media@EDVolunteers.org.
How we protect your personal information
We take appropriate physical, electronic and managerial measures to ensure that we keep your information secure, accurate and up to date, and that we only keep it as long as is reasonable and necessary.
Although we use appropriate security measures once we have received your personal information, the transmission of information over the internet is never completely secure. We do our best to protect personal information, but we cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted to our website, so any transmission is at the user’s own risk.
Website cookies and how we use them
Cookies are small pieces of information that websites send to your computer and store on your hard drive. They are not software – they can’t be programmed or carry computer viruses. Cookies allow us to recognise your computer when you next visit our website, but they don’t tell us who you are.
If you use our website, we will assume you consent to us storing and retrieving cookies, unless you have set your internet browser to stop cookies from being saved on your computer.
How to find out what personal information we hold about you
You can request details of the personal information we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. We may ask you for an administrative fee of £10.00.
If you would like a copy of the information we hold on you or to have the information we hold on you removed, please email media@EDVolunteers.org.